• 2 cups – Rice (cooked with salt and kept ready)
• 1/2 cup – tender Tamarind leaves (picked, washed and drained)
• 15 curry Patta leaves
• 6 green chillies, cut vertically
• 1 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 2 tsp – split Urad Dal
• 1 tbsp – Channa dal
• 1 tbsp – white til (dry fry and powder)
• a pinch – Hing
• 2 pinches – Haldi
• 2 Red Chilli
• 2 tbsp – oil
• 1 tbsp – Cashew nuts (fried in a tsp of oil/ghee)
- Crush the tamarind leaves in between both the palms in opposite direction to get a course powder
- Run this in a mixer for 5 secs to get a fine powder (do not make a paste)
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves
- Fry till seeds splutter, add dals, fry till they turn light brown.
- Add both the chillies, fry for 1/2 mins
- Add tamarind leaves powder and haldi, mix well and cook for 2 mins with lid on till the raw smell disappears.
- Remove from kadai.
- Add cooked rice to this pulihora masala along with til powder, mix thoroughly and garnish with cashew nuts.
- Serve pulihora with any raitha (onion raitha is the best).
Recipe courtesy of Uma Devi Ramachandra